October
23rd 2009
The Jazz Session #100: Bernard Flanders (My Grandfather)

Posted under Clarinetists & Podcast & Saxophonists

7321_1245887633539_1419853537_30704635_2139635_n

My grandfather was one of the biggest influences on my life, both in making me the man I am and in pointing me early on to the magic of music, and jazz in particular. To celebrate my 100th episode, I’m taking a break from the show’s normal format to share with you my remembrances of my grandpa and some of the music that he loved.

Here’s a photo of the band my grandfather played in. He’s in the exact center of the top row. This photo was taken in 1930:

grampsband1small

6 Comments »

6 Responses to “The Jazz Session #100: Bernard Flanders (My Grandfather)”

1. Sally Gustavson on 23 Oct 2009 at 7:51 am #

Amazing tribute to Grandpa, Hon. He would have loved it and would have been so proud of you, as he ALWAYS was. It made me cry, of course, but happy tears … so many wonderful memories and so happy for the bond you two shared. Thank you … I’m so glad to have this to listen to over and over. Love you.

2. Jim Kilcoyne on 23 Oct 2009 at 1:22 pm #

Jason
    Thank you for bringing me back to the Haygard Apartments and sitting in the parlor near that big white provincial sterro that Bernie would always seem to have music playing on whenever we visited. That was a phenomenol tribute to a phenomenol person. I wished I could have had even a fraction of the itme that you had with Uncle Bernie, just to sit and talk and listen to him and, as you’ve just presented, enjoy his love of thes music as much as I have grown to love it. I could certainly hear the love in yoru voice come across and I’m sure a slight glisten in your eyes as you described your childhood memories with yoru Grandpa. He certainly was grand.
    Thank you for sharing and I hope others that may not have known Bernie enjoy it as much as we did.
    Our best to all, even your mom.
    jim

3. Kyle Flanders on 24 Oct 2009 at 8:17 am #

Congratulations on 100 shows! That was an interesting and emotion provoking show. The only connection I have to Bernie Flanders is we share the same last name, but it brought me back to my grandparents and the fond memories I have of them. BF is proud!
    Thanks,
    Kyle

4. Kathy Kane Naylor on 30 Nov 2009 at 12:09 pm #

Jason: You don’t know me, but I grew up with your mom in Lenox….I remember your grandparents fondly, and you have certainly done your grandpa justice with this tribute. You were so lucky to have such loving, involved grandparents, but they were just as lucky to have such an amazing grandson. Kathy Kane

5. Jason Crane on 30 Nov 2009 at 12:15 pm #

Thanks so much for these lovely comments, everyone. They are much appreciated.

6. Jason Crane (dot org) » POEM: when our grandparents were young on 11 Jul 2013 at 5:14 pm #

[…] my grandpa in the center of the top […]

Trackback URI | Comments RSS